Chronic inflammatory diseases have been recognized as the most significant cause of death in the world today, with more than 50% of all deaths being attributable to inflammation-related diseases such as ischemic heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes mellitus, chronic kidney disease, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and autoimmune and neurodegenerative conditions
The Importance of Considering all Contributing Factors
An article in the Journal of Nature Medicine, Chronic Inflammation in the Etiology of Disease Across the Lifespan (Furman 2019), describe these effects and out-lines some promising avenues for future research and intervention. The article also offers insight on factors involved in, what is an enormous complexity of, the inflammatory response.
Beyond factors including chronic infections, microbiome dysbiosis, physical activity, nutrition, social & lifestyle, environmental toxicants, SCI and disease risk are hypothesized to be perpetuated transgenerationally. So, as Furman et al argue, there is a great need for studies to address the equally complex anti-inflammatory regulatory pathways relevant for influencing inflammation-related disease risk.
An Inflammation Guide for Auricular Testing
Auricular approaches are getting increasing recognition in research on inflammation. The overview of complexity related to inflammation lends itself to a comprehensive list that can act as a guide of related aspects to possibly test for using Auricular Medicine:
- Interferon point and possibly associated functional points, energy points, and medication analogue points, as they relate to inflammatory response (i.e. PGE1, Master Point of Regulation, Cortisone, just to name a few)
- Nutrition (vitamins and minerals), especially deficiencies in micronutrients, including zinc and magnesium, which are caused by eating processed or refined foods that are low in vitamins and minerals, and having suboptimal omega-3 levels, which impacts the resolution phase of inflammation.[see footnote] Don’t forget to possibly consider energy points such as the “Master Point of Regulation” and “Master Point of Qi Flow” according to Bahr, as these influence stimulation of nutrition regulation
- Miasms (see Q&A with Dr. Frank Bahr, Part 2, in How to Treat PTSD and Trauma of the Soul, and the discussion negative Qi in the Governor Vessel 4-15, along the timeline related to epigenetic inheritance)
- Constitution (perhaps especially physical and functional weaknesses related to the chronic diseases, i.e. CVD, kidney disease, diabetes, and others, for which inflammation significantly predicts risk).
- Emotional points as they may relate to lifestyle and psychological factors including stress, sleep, depression, etc.
- Toxicities as may be related to environmental factors
The Canadian Institute of Auricular Medicine is presenting an accelerated Level 1 based course on Pain Abatement in Chicago, October 28-30, 2022, at the Chicago College of Oriental Medicine: Master the Science of Neuro-auricular Pain Abatement
Also, a broad overview of approaches to testing, is presented by Dr. Bahr in the course, The Most Important Frequencies in Auricular Medicine (watch on YouTube).